Who says we’re in a bad economy? Look at all these new restaurants opening up in DC. Things can’t be that bad.
We get our restaurant news from dozens of sources, and this guide is our attempt to put it in one place for our wonderful readers. Wasn’t that nice of us? What new restaurants are you excited about?
Know about a restaurant opening in the DC Area that we missed? Shoot us an email or leave a comment below.
- Elisir – Enzo Fargio will open a tasting menu focused restaurant in Federal Triangle – March 2011
- Rogue 24 – Chef RJ Cooper from Vidalia is opening a 24-course restaurant near the Verizon Center – Early 2011
- DC-3- From the team behind Matchbox and Ted’s Bulletin, they will open a hot dog spot on Capitol Hill – Fall 2010
- Shake Shack – Opening up in Dupont Circle in the former Fuddruckers space – Early 2011
- EatMore DrinkMore Taqueria*– the team behind Kaz Sushi Bistro & Masa 14 will open a Mexican taqueria in Logan Circle. *The restaurant is unnamed, so we thought they could name it after us!– Spring 2011
- Serendipity 3 – Opening in the old Nathans space on the Corner of M & Wisconsin in Georgetown. – TBD
- Cuba Libre – Bringing latin and Cuban flavor to Chinatown this September – September 2010
- Go Burger – Adding to the gourmet burger trend in DC, the team behind BLT Steak will be opening a their take on the burger in Dupont Circle – Fall 2010
- Casa Nonna- The BLT Steak team is busy preparing for the opening of an Italian Restaurant in Dupont Circle – September 2010
- Italian Shirt Laundry & Italian Cinema – The group behind restaurants such as Againn and Acqua will be opening a pizzeria and bakery (Italian Shirt Laundry) in Logan Circle . They will also open Italian Cinema, an upscale Italian Restaurant in Logan Circle as well–2010
- Brixton Pub – A new gastropub serving the U Street Corridor – TBD
- Jack Rose – The genius behind Bourbon and Breadsoda will be bringing yet another restaurant and bar to U Street. – 2010
- Hill Country – NY Based BBQ heading to Penn Quarter. – Winter 2010
- District Burger – New casual burger & shake restaurant coming to Washington Circle – TBD
- Dino – An EM DM favorite is looking to expand to Columbia Heights.
- Tackle Box – The seafood shack from Georgetown will be expanding to Cleveland Park – Winter 2010/2011
- Flip Burger – Top Cheftestant Richard Blaise is searching out a location for his burger concept in DC. (via Washingtonian)
- Smith Commons – 3 Level Bistro set to open on H-Street – Late September 2010
- Galileo III – Roberto Donna’s return to the district. - September 2010
- PJ Clarke’s - 16th & K (where Olives was) – pub from NY – great burgers and atmosphere – TBD
- Hamilton Square- Clyde’s is behind the concept for the old Border’s space on 14th & F. Dining room upstairs, nightclub on lower level. – Late 2011
- The Atlas Room – A seasonal, new American restaurant in the old Napa space on the 1000 block on H Street NE. – Fall 2010
- The Queen Vic - A British gastropub will be opening on H Street – Fall 2010
- Uptown Deli – An authentic NY Deli is coming to the DC area. Opening any day now. Make sure to check out our interview with the owner.
- Cava Grill – Mediterranean joint is expanding to Bethesda, they will be offering sandwiches in addition to their mezze. – December 2010
- Food & Wine Co - Bistro in downtown Bethesda, where Uno’s was by the movie theater on Wisconsin Ave. Plan to price wine at retail + $5, owners of the now closed Centro and Cork 57 – Fall 2010
- Seasons 52 – North Bethesda (near White Flint Mall), seasonal ingredients - Spring 2011
- Matchbox – Rockville – Congressional Plaza (where PGA Grill was) on Rockville Pike (two levels 10k sq ft, patio) – Fall 2010
- Virtue Feed & Grain – Cathal Armstrong is expanding in Old Town with an Irish American Pub – Spring 2011
- Cava – Mediterranean joint is expanding to Clarendon, underneath the Gold’s Gym. –Early 2011
- Ray’s the Catch – Michael Landrum’s long awaited take on seafood is slated to open this fall. Not sure I believe it, but I have my fingers crossed.
- Crumbs Bake Shop – Yet ANOTHER cupcake shop is opening in DC. This time right smack dab in between Lululemon & Red Mango. How many sun salutations, do I have to do, to burn off a cupcake? – December 2010
- Lost Dog – The puppy friendly pizza parlor will be opening a location in Mclean
- Clarendon Grill – Closed this summer for renovations, and will be reopening in September 2010.
- SweetGreen – Local favorite for yogurt and salads will be opening up a location in Ballston – September 2010
- Taylor Gourmet – Will open up a restaurant in the Mosaic Development in Falls Church – Fall 2012
- Society Fair – located at the corner of Washington and Duke Streets, will combine a market, butchery, bakery, wine bar, and restaurant with 30 outdoor seats and 50 indoor seats.
- Brgr:Shack – Opening across the street from the Ballston Metro – Fall 2010
- Whitlows on Wilson – They are adding a huge rooftop bar to their existing location. – September 2010
- Rooftop Bar & Grill – Opening up in Courthouse – Fall 2010
- Pete’s New Haven Apizza – Opening up in Clarendon in the Clarendon Center Development. – Winter 2010
- BGR Joint – The local chain expands to add a location in Clarendon – Winter 2010
- Tangy Sweet/Red Velvet – MORE CUPCAKES are coming to Clarendon, well cupcakes and frozen yogurt – Winter 2010
- District Taco – From food cart to restaurant, this taco joint is opening a location in the old Restaurant Vero space on Lee Highway – October 2010
- Bayou Bakery – Originally slated for the space currently occupied by Northside Social, David Guas will be bringing his New Orleans concept to Courthouse – TBD
- The Alpine – This iconic (well… old) restaurant changed hands to the Liberty Tavern Group, and thus far their lips are sealed on their plans.
- Rustico & Buzz Bakery – These old town favorites for pizza, beer, cupcakes and coffee will be opening up in Ballston this fall – Fall 2010
- Mad Rose Tavern – An American Bar opening up in the Lady Hamilton space in Clarendon – Fall 2010
- Trader Joes – Thus far, it is just a RUMOR, but I am hearing that they may be opening a store in Clarendon.
- Michel – The new Tyson’s outpost from Michel Richard will be located in the Ritz Carlton – September 2010
- Matchbox is RUMORED to be looking for a location in Arlington. *Correction, ArlNow confirms they are definitely looking for a space in Arlington. - 2013
- Circa is expanding their presence in the DC area with another location in Clarendon. – Winter 2010
- Ozzie’s - The Great American Restaurant Group (Carlyle, Sweetwater Tavern, Coastal Flats) is opening an Italian restaurant in Fairfax, near Fair Oaks mall – Fall 2010