Asparagus has to be one my favorite vegetables. I’m always seeking out new ways to prepare asparagus, you can only toss it in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it so many times. I decided to use an existing asparagus salad I posted on EatMore DrinkMore and kick it up with some BACON! Pork fat really does make everything better. This recipe is a little more labor intensive than your probably used to, but it’s worth it.
Shaved Asparagus, Bacon, Shallot & Lemon Salad
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2-3 slices of Bacon (more if you love bacon)
- 1 minced shallot
- 1/2 lemon – juice squeezed and zested
- Olive Oil
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil, and prepare an ice bath.
2. Shave the asparagus with a vegetable peeler into a large bowl.
3. Blanch the asparagus for about 30 seconds. This helps the keep asparagus bright green.
4. Chop the bacon into small pieces (lardons) and fry in a cast iron skillet till crispy
4. Add bacon, some pork fat (how much is up to you), olive oil, lemon, shallot, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.